What is a Problem?
When there is a gap between our Expectations and the reality, we feel unhappy – which is a “Problem”.
This is how a deviation from the specification, a failure to meet timelines etc., become our problems. A problem could be defined as “the gap between our expectations and actual state or observation”. From the gap analogy, we also understand that as the gap increases, our suffering gets intensified.
What is problem-solving?
A fundamental part of every manager’s role is finding ways to solve them. So, being a confident problem solver is really important to your success. Much of that confidence comes from having a good process to use when approaching a problem. With one, you can solve problems quickly and effectively. Without one, your solutions may be ineffective, or you’ll get stuck and do nothing, with sometimes painful consequences.
Working on managing the problem (correction) instead of solving it (with corrective action) creates a situation of firefighting in our daily work. To solve a problem permanently, we need to understand and act on its root cause. We will also understand the steps of identifying root causes and preventive their recurrence in this workshop.
About the Course
The CSense Problem Solving workshop is designed to cater the needs of leaders and managers who are interested in solving the recurring problems and want to bring in the culture and team-based approach of systematic problem solving to every level of people in the organisation.
We deal with the most relevant tools in the step-by-step approach. We can take up the actual cases of recurring problems in the company as the example and as the case study for the workshop.
The course covers important problem-solving tools like problem definition, containment action, root cause analysis with QC tools, root cause validation using statistical tools, corrective action, preventive action, escape points, poka-yoke and more.
Systematic Problem Solving
CSense 6 Steps Approach
Applications of this methodology
The methodology is simple and applicable to most of the problems faced by the industries. Hence, it is widely accepted and recommended by companies. This also forms a framework for Auto industries’ 8D Problem Solving, Pharma industries’ USFDA recommended 7 step approach and Six Sigma’s DMAIC approach.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to understand and appreciate
- Cost of Poor Quality
- The need for Systematic problem-solving
- Various approaches to problem-solving
- Difference between correction, corrective action and preventive action
- Team approach enhance effective solutions and learning
- Risk assessment and containment actions
- Root cause analysis
- Statistical tools
- Arriving at an effective action plan
- Preventing the defects
- Overview of Problem-solving
- Need for Problem Solving
- Managing a Problem Vs Problem Solving
- Definitions – Correction, Corrective Action & Preventive Action
Step by Step Approach to Problem Solving
Understanding a Problem – Definition
- Use of 5W2H questions
- Assessing the problem and its risk
- Forming Effective Teams
- CFT & CHT
- Damage control – Interim Actions
- Communication plan
- Data / Evidence Collection
- Fishbone Analysis
- Is – Is Not Analysis
- Process Mapping
- Data and Statistical Analysis
- Data collection
- Graphical Tools
- Why-Why Analysis
- Validation of Root causes
- Statistical Analysis
- Permanent Corrective Action
- Solution Generation
- Pilot Implementation
- Solution Action Plan
- Preventing Recurrence
- Control Plan
- Poka Yoke
- Verification of Status
- Verification of Effectiveness
- Training & Documentation
- 2 days – 16 hours
- Managers responsible for process improvements
- Quality Managers, Internal and External Auditors
- Shop floor managers and supervisors
- Production and Maintenance Managers
- Product Design Engineers
- Research Engineers & Scientists
CSense Workshop approach is based on scientifically proven methodologies of Learning, which includes Learning by
- Listening – Classroom sessions & Audio-Visuals
- by Teaching
- Examples & Exercises at end of each step
- Templates and formats will be provided for each tool
- 3 to 4 cross-functional teams will be formed
- Each team will be assigned with specific problem (either a running Non-conformance or a recently closed out non-conformance)
- Different types of problems – Audit observations, internal failures/rejections, customer complaints, machine breakdown or accidents.
- Participants will be given coaching to work on their assigned problem with the new approach – application & documentation
- Faculty will help the teams to apply the learning on the problems and explain the practical doubts.
- After each step, teams will present their working.
Min 12 and Max 20 Participants per batch
We can customise the deliverable as per client’s requirements.
- Certification Criteria: 90% attendance in Training Sessions, participation in activities and 70% Score in written test
- Test will be conducted on 2nd day of training
- Laptop/desktop with provision to install software packages for participants to be arranged by the client.
Continued coaching and hand-holding support could be provided by CSense after the workshop for successful project completion, as an optional engagement.