Productivity Improvement through 5S
5S training & Workshop is designed to cater the needs of every level of staff in an organisation on keeping the workspace safe, pleasant and productive. It is not all about housekeeping and cleaning. But it is the simplest productivity improvement methodology. It can be successfully implemented by everyone, every day, everywhere – at every size of
It is not all about housekeeping and cleaning. But it is the simplest productivity improvement methodology. It can be successfully implemented by everyone, every day, everywhere – at every size of the organisation, whether it is a manufacturing, tool room, bank counter, restaurant, hospital, medical shop, IT company or be your home.
Introduced by Ford in his Ford Automobile factory, in the US as CANDO – a short form of Clean, Arrange, Neat, Do it Daily and Ongoing Improvement. It got exported to Japanese Industries through industry experts of both Japan and the US and found its prominence in Japanese Manufacturing Industries.
5S is considered to be the secret of Japanese success in continually improving manufacturing plants’ productivity, improved safety on the shop floor and enhanced the morale of the employees.
Cleaning for Ownership
A Person who cleans and maintains a property becomes the moral owner of it. By cleaning his workspace or machine, a person becomes attached to it. Cleaning is
Cleaning is inspection
A person comes to know the potential damages, abnormalities at an early stage by cleaning daily. Thus 5S reduces the chances of breakdowns, accidents, and other losses.
Cleaning for Positive Energy
It is not all about cleaning. But it is about remaining positive and attractive. The Objective of 5S is to keep the workspace, machines, and people attractive all the times (step 3 – Shine). Good attracts Good.
Improvement in the following areas are seen from day 1 of implementing 5S
- Equipment Availability & Utilisation
- Cost reduction
- Space utilisation and saving
- morale of staff
Seeing is Believing
The workshop is designed to provide theoretical knowledge about 5S along with the hands-on experience when done on the shop floor. In the two days of the workshop, a model area will be chosen and steps 1, 2, and 3 of 5S will be demonstrated in the designated area.
- Compatibility with other process improvement methodologies like Kaizen & Lean
- 5 Steps and their importance
- Identifying unneeded material, equipment, consumables on the workspace
- Labelling them with Red Tag
- Assigning Red tag area
- Fixing up responsibility and action plan for clearing red tag area
Set in Order
- A Place for Everything
- Everything in its place
- Convenience over discipline
Creating better practices
- Identifying cleaning requirements
- Defining cleaning frequency and cleaning method
- Identifying hard to access / clean areas – corrective action plan
- Identifying source of dust, dirt, and leakages – corrective action plan
- Regular Inspection
Making practices as Habits
- Identifying frequency of cleaning
- Daily, Weekly and Monthly schedules
- Zone system and Zone Owners
- Regular awareness and training
- Horizontal Deployment plan
Converting Habits into a Culture
- Ongoing training
- Training plan for new entrants
- Regular Audits and Review by Top Management
- Rewards to best-performing Zones
- 2 Days (16 hours) / 3 Days (24 hours)
- Compulsory In-House Workshop (Gemba)
- Min 10 and Max 20 Participants per batch
We can customise the deliverable as per client’s requirements.
Continued coaching and hand-holding support could be provided by CSense after the workshop for successful project completion, as an optional engagement.